Last Update 18:28
Saturday, 19 August 2017

Saudi Arabia announces operation Decisive Storm in Yemen is over

Ahram Online , Tuesday 21 Apr 2015
Assiri
Saudi-led coalition spokesman Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri (Photo: Reuter)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1979
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1979

The Saudi defence ministry said on Tuesday that the Saudi-led "Decisive Storm" military operation in Yemen had ended, and that a new operation named "Restoring Hope" would start at 12:00AM (GMT+3) in the country.

According to the Saudi news agency SPA, exiled Yemeni president Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi demanded that Operation Decisive Storm end.

A Saudi-led military coalition was established after Houthi rebels captured the southern Yemeni city of Aden in March, causing Hadi to flee to Saudi Arabia.

Arab countries who joined the coalition include Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Sudan, Egypt and Morocco.

General Ahmed Assiri, spokesperson for the Saudi-led coalition, told the press that Operation Decisive Storm had achieved success through destroying sites that were controlled by the Houthis.

Assiri stressed that security measures would be implemented by navy and ground forces to protect Saudi Arabia's southern border and to stop any further operations by the Houthis.

The coalition would maintain the inspection of ships in Yemen's regional waters in accordance with the UN Security Council's Resolution 2216, the spokesperson added.

Earlier this month, the UN Security Council imposed an arms embargo on Houthi militants and their key allies, former president Ali Abdullah Saleh and his son.

The new Operation Restoring Hope, SPA reported, seeks to revive the political process in Yemen on the basis of its previous national dialogue, UN Security Council decisions and the Gulf initiative that paved the way for power transfer after the 2011 revolution against Saleh's regime.

It will also aim to fight terrorism, protect civilians, maintain humanitarian support and continue to enable the evacuation of foreigners.

Saudi Arabia's King Salman on Tuesday ordered the Saudi National Guard to take part in Riyadh's campaign against Houthi militants in Yemen, Saudi state media reported.

Assiri said that Saudi Arabia's elite forces would help military forces to protect the kingdom's southern borders from any Houthi attacks. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
2



Neo
22-04-2015 02:27pm
0-
2+
“Decisive Illusions”
What was achieved: 1,000 death, 4,000 injured, Al Qaeda in Yemen stronger, more starvation and poverty in Yemen … Saudi is proving once again that they are a force in Islam … not for good, but for evil!
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



Hussaini
21-04-2015 08:55pm
163-
58+
needless distraction of a poor country
Nothing have been achieved by Saudis besides creating pain and suffering for poor People of Yemen.Destroying infrastructures of this war turn country.Only benefit of this distraction is much stronger Al Qada.If that was their goal they've achieved it. Silence of global community in this Saudi aggression is shameful. More and countries are becoming unlivable Younger people are taking risky journeys to Europe.Bombing from air is always deadly for unarmed Civilians. I'm upset to see silence of humanitarian organizations. If Shiea People in Bahrin call for democracy they get crushed by Saudis if Yemeni People stand up against crupt Saudi funded rulers they are labeled Sheia and pro Iran. To become pro Iran is death sentence what a hippocracy . We stand for human rights selectively..What a shame.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.