Last Update 16:43
Thursday, 19 September 2019

Egypt's PM, officials inspect restoration work on Cairo's Baron Empain Palace

Ahram Online , MENA , Wednesday 28 Aug 2019
Baron Empain Palace
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1597
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1597

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly, Minister of Antiquities Khaled El-Anany and Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Mostafa Waziri inspected on Wednesday the restoration process of the Baron Empain Palace in Cairo's Heliopolis neighbourhood, stressing the necessity of sticking to the scheduled date to reopen the 108-year-old mansion.

The minister of antiquities said restoration was progressing in line with state-of-the-art technologies to preserve the special architectural characteristics and style of the palace.

El-Anany added his ministry was working with many authorities and civil society institutions to renovate the palace and hold an exhibition to showcase the history of the Heliopolis district.

The Baron Empain Palace, a Heliopolis landmark, is set to open to the public in October, following the completion of its first-ever restoration.

Sitting empty in the upscale neighbourhood of Cairo for the last several decades, the unusual building has long sparked rumours of ghosts and satanic rituals.

But the restoration of the 1911 mansion, which was built by Belgian industrialist and founder of Heliopolis Baron Edouard Louis Joseph Empain, has sparked debate in recent days.

Controversy first stirred when pictures of the palace emerged showing the outer façade in a burnt sienna colour, in contrast to its previous light beige.

The Facebook page Egyptian Historians on Facebook responded angrily, describing the restoration, which is being carried out by the Armed Forces’ engineering corps under the antiquities ministry, as “a defamation.”

"Please respect us and admit the mistake you've made. You continue to literally destroy our antiquities and you have led us to wish that you don't restore anything ever again," wrote the page administrators in a post.

By contrast, the Historic Cairo Facebook page shared a post defending the restoration work and describing the burnt sienna colour as “historically accurate.”

BEP

Following a tug-of-war on social media around the renovation, the antiquities ministry finally responded with a defence of the EGP 100 million project.

The ministry said the colours of the restored façade were “original,” stressing that those entrusted with the project had carried out all necessary procedures, including tests and photographical and architectural documentation of damage, to make an appropriate plan for the restoration.

The tests showed that the burnt sienna colour was in fact authentic, the ministry added.

The ministry said it had determined the original colour through historical documents, citing the book "Le roman d'Héliopolis" by historian Amelie D. Arschot, who wrote that the building was in burnt sienna and white and was inspired by 12th century temples in northern India.

Waziri said around 90 percent of the palace was renovated, including the structural consolidation of the roofs, and the façade's adorned elements were restored.

He explained that the sandy colour of the exterior that is so familiar to passers-by was due to erosion, which altered the original colour of the palace.

"It was not reasonable to leave the palace [as it was] without restoring its original colour," he said.

El-Enany also defended the removal of an outer fence around the palace, saying it was only installed 14 years ago.

A new fence has been added, and El-Enany stressed that a second, original fence will not be removed.

This is not the first time that the palace has been the subject of controversy.

In June, Egyptian officials denied reports that the palace had been put up for sale, stressing a pledge to preserve all of the country’s historic monuments and cultural heritage.

The current restoration of the palace is part of Egypt’s plan to execute EGP 2.5 billion in antiquities projects in the near future, with EGP 1.47 billion to be spent by December 2019 and EGP 1 billion in 2020.

After restoration, the palace will feature a historic exhibition on the history of Heliopolis, as well as a visitor services area.

Officials hope that visitors will be curious about the mysterious landmark, stressing that ticket prices won’t be too steep for Egyptians.

Also known as Le Palais Hindou, the building was designed by French architect Alexandre Marcel and decorated by Georges-Louis Claude.

Empain came to Egypt in 1904 with his company, with hopes of building a railway linking Mansoura to Matariya. Although his company ultimately lost the railway contract, the entrepreneur nevertheless stayed in Egypt, and was responsible for creating what was then the new city of Heliopolis.

A previous attempt to restore the palace in 2010 stalled after it lost its budget following the 2011 revolution. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.