Last Update 0:50
Wednesday, 26 February 2020

UN Secretary General says Libya situation a 'scandal'

Reuters , Tuesday 4 Feb 2020
United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres
United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres speaks during a press briefing at United Nations Headquarters on February 4, 2020 in New York City (Photo: AFP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 819
Share/Bookmark
Views: 819

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday called the situation in Libya a "scandal" even as his envoy cited a "genuine will" by rival military factions as they planned their first meeting to secure a lasting ceasefire.

"I am deeply frustrated with what's happening in Libya," Guterres said in a press conference in which he was critical of countries that last month met in Berlin to push for progress in Libya peace talks.

"They committed not to interfere in the Libyan process and they committed not to send weapons or participate in any way in the fighting," Guterres said at the United Nations headquarters in New York. "The truth is that the Security Council (arms) embargo remains violated."

He called the mediation efforts of UN envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame "the only good news" there.

Salame told reporters earlier Tuesday that there was a "genuine will to start negotiating" between opposite sides, though he added that an arms embargo was being violated by both sides and that new mercenaries and arms were still arriving "by air and by sea" in Libya.

Libyan National Army (LNA) led by commander Khalifa Haftar have been trying to take the capital, Tripoli, from the Government of National Accord (GNA) for the past 10 months.

The talks bring together five senior military officers from the Libyan National Army and five from forces aligned with the Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli.

Fighting has continued on the ground despite a call for a truce by Russia and Turkey starting on Jan. 12 and the international summit on Libya in Berlin on Jan. 19 aimed at reducing international interference.

LNA has had material support from countries including the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Jordan, and Russia, UN experts and diplomats say, while the GNA is backed militarily by Turkey.

Salame deplored the presence of more than "20 million pieces of weaponry" in the country and said he had asked the UN Security Council to pass a resolution to reaffirm an existing arms embargo and pass measures to ensure it is respected.

Talks between the two sides, who did not meet face-to-face in Geneva on Monday, were aiming "to bridge the gaps in their views on how the lasting, sustainable ceasefire can be organised on the ground," Salame said.

"We started yesterday to discuss with them a long list of points on our agenda, starting on an attempt to transform the truce into a more solid one, less often violated by either side and also to transform that truce into a real agreement on a lasting ceasefire," he said.

The conflict that developed in Libya in the years since Muammar Gaddafi was toppled in 2011 has given space to militants and migrant smugglers and crippled Libya's oil reliant economy.

A blockade of oil ports and fields by LNA forces that began just before the Berlin conference has reduced oil output by about one million barrels per day (bpd).

Asked if he would press Haftar to end the blockade, Salame said it was mainly an issue being pursued on the ground, urging foreign powers to back a broader UN bid to resume production.

* This story was edited by Ahram Online. 

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.