Last Update 15:6
Wednesday, 16 August 2017

Abu-Ismail spokesman: We didn't call for defence ministry sit-in

Spokesman for disqualified Salafist presidential candidate denies involvement with defense ministry sit-in – or the violence that has accompanied it

Ahram Online , Wednesday 2 May 2012
Share/Bookmark
Views: 908
Share/Bookmark
Views: 908

Ayman Elias, spokesman for disqualified Salafist presidential candidate Hazem Abu-Ismail, urged protesters outside Egypt's defence ministry in downtown Cairo on Sunday to disperse and return to the nearby Tahrir Square in order to stop violent clashes between protesters and unknown assailants. 

Elias went on to assert that Sunday's clashes had been "planned" in advance in order to derail this month's scheduled presidential elections and the planned transfer of power from Egypt's ruling military council to a civilian administration.  

Elias also denied that Abu-Ismail supporters had called for the sit-in outside the defence ministry, noting that there were other pro-Abu-Ismail groups that had been holding their own sit-in protests in Tahrir Square.

On Friday night, a group of Abu-Ismail supporters reportedly converged on the ministry, where they held a sit-in to demand that the military council abrogate Article 28 of last year's constitutional declaration – which deals with presidential elections – and dismiss the Supreme Presidential Elections Commission.

After attacks on sit-in participants on Saturday and Sunday by unknown assailants, several political groups – including the April 6 Youth Movement – joined the protesters to express their solidarity. 

Abu-Ismail was disqualified from Egypt's first post-Mubarak presidential poll last month after it was shown that his late mother had borne US citizenship in contravention of Egypt's presidential elections law. Abu-Ismail supporters rejected the decision, which they saw as a conspiracy against the popular Salafist preacher.

For the last three weeks, Abu-Ismail's supporters have held rallies and protests – along with a sit-in in Tahrir Square – to express solidarity with the disqualified candidate. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Free Lady
02-05-2012 07:39pm
1-
3+
Art of Lies.
As per al ahram on line Mr. Abu Ismail says "Our blood is being spelled on the streets and you are going to meet with the SCAF?" he said on his official Facebook page Wednesday morning. Above head line: Mr. Ayman Elias denies involvement with defense ministry sit-in – or the violence that has accompanied it. Now O People of Egypt its your decision to whom u believe. One is saying Its our blood in streets and his spokesman says its not our men. May be I will think to commit suicide.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.