Egypt mulling Qatari proposal for Arab intervention in Syria: Morsi aide
Qatar, Egypt to discuss proposal for Arab-Turkish military intervention in Syria, says aide to President Morsi
Ahram Online , Sunday 30 Sep 2012
Syrian security officers shout slogans in front of a damaged military intelligence building where two bombs exploded, at Qazaz neighborhood in Damascus, Syria, on Thursday May 10, 2012 (Photo: AP)
Egypt is currently considering a Qatari proposal for Arab military intervention in Syria to end the 18-month-long conflict there, Seif Abdel-Fattah, aide to Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, told the Turkish Anadolu news agency on Sunday.
"Egypt is ready to take part in an Arab intervention in Syria as long as this would not be used as an excuse for international intervention," stated Abdel-Fattah, adding that details of the proposal still required further study.
According to the presidential aide, Egyptian and Qatari officials are expected to discuss the issue "soon," while Turkish assistance in the initiative might also be sought. Abdel-Fattah added that Morsi, during his current visit to Turkey, would try to drum up support for the Qatari initiative with his Turkish interlocutors.
Morsi, now on his first state visit to Ankara as Egypt's president, told members of Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party on Sunday that Egypt "supports the people's demand for freedom from oppression and occupation in both Syria and Palestine," stressing Turkey's role as an "important element" in issues of concern to the region.
Addressing the Turkish nation in general, Morsi added: "The Arab world and the Arab Spring need you and your support to achieve sought-for stability."
Qatari officials first tabled their proposal for Arab intervention in Syria at last week's UN General Assembly meeting in New York.
"I think it's better for the Arab countries themselves to intervene due to their national, humanitarian, political and military obligations to do what is necessary to stop the bloodshed in Syria," Qatari leader Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani said at the UN.
As for the 'quartet' initiative to resolve the Syria crisis – which includes involving Egypt, Turkey, Iran and Saudi Arabia – Abdel-Fattah said it was still "too soon" to consider the initiative a failure, pointing out that quartet members states were still hoping to reach a minimum agreement between the warring parties.
He added, however, that "if this agreement means that the Syrian regime – which has killed its own people – remains in its current form, then this would be unacceptable."