BREAKING: Families of defendants in Port Said attempt to storm prison
Ahram Online, Saturday 26 Jan 2013
Raged over the verdict announced early Saturday by Port Said Criminal Court slamming 21 of the defendents with death sentences, families of the convicted are attempting to break into the Port Said General prison.
Seventy-three defendants, including nine security officials, three Masry football club officials and a number of fans are on trial for their suspected role in Egypt's worst-ever football tragedy, which killed more than 70 people.
Twenty one have been given the death sentence. The trial of the remaining defendants will be looked into on 9 March.
New evidence was submitted last week requiring further investigation into the case.
News of the verdict was received with cheers and fireworks by members of Ultras Ahlawy protesting outside the Ahly club in Zamalek.
However, in Port Said, where relatives of the defendants have been protesting, an Ahram Online reporter says there is anger and dismay at the verdict.