Last Update 17:13
Friday, 19 October 2018

One dead after Thursday's bomb attack in Cairo

Person dies in hospital after being injured during assassination attempt against Egyptian Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim

Ahram Online, Friday 6 Sep 2013
interior minister
Security personnel gather at a site of an explosion against the convoy of the Egyptian interior minister Mohammed Ibrahim (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 5210
Share/Bookmark
Views: 5210

One civilian has died from wounds sustained in a bomb attack Thursday targeting Interior Mohamed Ibrahim, the health ministry announced on Friday.

 

The blast, which took place in Cairo's Nasr City, left at least 21 injured including six policemen and a child. Ibrahim was unharmed.

 

Initial reports said that the blast was the result of a car bomb. According to security sources, the owner of the car which exploded is currently being interrogated.

 

In his account, the minister said four vehicles among his convoy were damaged, along with a number of civilian-owned cars.

 

Some shops were also damaged in the blast.

 

Initial investigations showed at least 50kg of explosives or other chemicals were used in the blast, Al-Ahram Arabic news website reported.

 

Several security sources accused jihadists of being behind the attack.

 

Since the ouster of the Muslim Brotherhood’s Mohamed Morsi by the military on 3 July amid mass protests against him, police and security personnel have been subject to recurrent attacks.

 

In July, at least two bombings at police stations outside Cairo were reported. One, an explosion in the Nile Delta's Mansoura city, left one person dead.

 

Numerous police stations were also attacked across the country in the immediate aftermath of a bloody crackdown by security forces on pro-Morsi protest camps on 14 August. Video footage that went viral on social media networks showed an attack on a police station in Giza's Kerdasa that left at least nine policemen dead.

 

A security source said on Friday that at least 117 policemen have been killed since 14 August, while 1,063 have been injured.

 

The army has also been battling an upsurge in militant activity in the Sinai Peninsula, bordering Israel and the Palestinian Gaza Strip.

 

At least 25 police conscripts were executed after the vehicle they were travelling in was ambushed in an incident in north Sinai last month.

 

Dozens of soldiers and police have also been killed in drive-by shootings and rocket attacks in the province. Egypt's army has killed around 100 militants, some of whom are reportedly foreign, in recent operations. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



JOHN
07-09-2013 07:02pm
0-
0+
MR
This minister was Rightfull to attack .because he killed so many inocents peoples .he want make Egypt like a Somalia .pulic must weak up against coup .
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.