Last Update 21:9
Thursday, 24 May 2018

Sudanese police fire on funeral march: Witnesses

Security forces fire tear gas and gunshots at mourners protesting in Khartoum

AP , Saturday 28 Sep 2013
Sudan
Sudanese police used teargas to disperse thousands of protesters (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 974
Share/Bookmark
Views: 974

Sudanese security forces in pickup trucks cornered hundreds of mourners marching after burying a slain protester and opened fire on them on Saturday, participants said. This is the latest reported violence in a week-long wave of demonstrations calling for the ouster of longtime President Omar Al-Bashir.

Three female protesters said that they were surrounded by dozens of pickup trucks and security forces in a main street in the capital Khartoum and hit with tear gas and gunfire. It was not possible to independently verify their account, but Sudanese activists say the government's poorly trained security forces have routinely used live fire against protesters, often shooting at the head and body.

The violent crackdown is propelling protests triggered by the lifting of fuel and gas subsidies into the most serious challenge to Al-Bashir's 24-year-long rule in years.

One of the three, speaking from a hospital, said that two of her relatives were wounded by bullets.

"The cars came from the back and the front while we were marching in the street," a second female protester said.

Earlier in the day, chants of "The people want the downfall of Al-Bashir" rang across the cemetery where 26-year-old pharmacist Salah al-Sanhouri was buried. Women, crying and hugging, blocked a side-street while chanting "Rebel! Rebel!" as his male relatives laid him to rest. His relatives say he was shot in the street outside his pharmacy as a march went by Friday, in the same street where the protest came under attack again on Saturday.

The death toll from a week of protests is sharply contested. Youth activists and doctors at a Khartoum hospital told The Associated Press that at least 100 people died since Monday. Sudanese police have reported at least 30 deaths nationwide, including policemen. A precise account was almost impossible to obtain. Official statements have often blamed unknown gunmen for attacking protesters.

Activists have begun to put together pictures, names and details of each slain protester.

The government appears to be trying to impose a blackout. The Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya satellite television station and Sky News Arabia said Friday that their Khartoum offices were ordered closed by the government. Sudanese news outlets online have reported that photographers and cameramen have been barred from covering the protests, while editors have said they were ordered to describe protesters as "saboteurs."

The unrest began early last week in the town of Wad Madani, south of Khartoum, when Al-Bashir announced on TV the lifting of subsidies on fuel and gas to protect the economy from "collapsing," consequently causing prices to leap.

Protesters say austerity measures are imposed on the poor as senior officials grow wealthy. "This is a government of thieves who looted the country and starved us," the slain pharmacist's uncle said. He refused to give his name for fear of reprisal.

The deaths have the potential to spread discontent among Sudan's powerful extended families. The Sanhouris are prominent in the capital, and one mourner identified himself as a senior official in the intelligence services.

Although he maintains a strong grip on the regime, Al-Bashir has been increasingly beleaguered. The economy has been worsening, especially after South Sudan broke off and became an independent state in 2011, taking Sudan's main oil-producing territory. Armed secessionist groups operate in several parts of the country. Al-Bashir himself, who came to power as head of a military-Islamist regime after a 1989 coup, is wanted by the International Criminal Court over alleged crimes in Sudan's western region of Darfur.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.