Last Update 10:30
Sunday, 18 November 2018

Shiite ex-MPs exposed to prosecution in Bahrain

Bahraini former Shiite MPs resign in protest against brutal crackdown, losing their immunity from prosecution in the process

AFP and Reuters, Tuesday 29 Mar 2011
Bahrain
Anti-government protesters gesture in front of the Saudi embassy March 15 in Manama, (AP).
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1516
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1516

Bahrain's parliament on Tuesday accepted the resignations of 11 out of 18 Shiite MPs who stepped down in protest at violence against pro-democracy demonstrators, exposing them to prosecution.

The house in a unanimous vote "accepted the resignations of 11 MPs of Al-Wefaq, the largest bloc in the 40-member parliament of the Shiite-majority state, official news agency BNA said.

It said that parliament decided to postpone a vote on the other seven members of Al-Wefaq, which heads the opposition in the Gulf country ruled by a Sunni royal family.

Tuesday's vote clears the way for the possible prosecution of the outspoken former MPs now stripped of parliamentary immunity.

The move came after Bahraini security forces on March 16 drove the mostly Shiite protesters out of Manama's Pearl Square under a state of emergency, ending a month-long campaign on the streets against the regime.

The Al-Wefaq bloc suspended its membership in parliament on 15 February in protest at the use of lethal force against demonstrators in Shiite villages, where two demonstrators were shot dead.

They stepped down at the end of February, after the death toll had risen to seven. At least 15 Shiites were killed in the clashes with security forces, according to an Al-Wefaq toll.

Wefaq had said on Monday 250 people have been detained and 44 others went missing since a security crackdown crushed weeks of protests, more than double last week's figures.

They said many Bahrainis, mostly Shi'ites, were being arrested at checkpoints or in house raids. In other cases, family members report that relatives simply do not return home, Wefaq member Mattar Ibrahim Mattar told Reuters by telephone.

Bahraini officials were not immediately available to comment on Wefaq's estimated number of those missing or arrested.

Wefaq says most of those who were detained or went missing were not activists, though many political leaders were arrested in the days immediately following the 16 March crackdown.

A few of those who went missing turned up dead last week.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.