Egypt's next president, former military chief Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi, told a Kuwaiti news website that he will not allow a return to the autocracy of the past during his term.
In his first public comments since unofficial vote tallies showed that he had won in excess of 90 percent of the votes in this week's presidential election, El-Sisi told Al-Jarida website that he would fight until he "fulfills the priorities of security and stability," pledging not to exclude anyone when appointed president.
The retired field marshal had previously said he would "finish off" the Muslim Brotherhood of ousted president Mohamed Morsi if he were to become president.
In a bid to allay such fears, El-Sisi promised "no going back [to the past days]. We will move forward. We have no time for differences and engaging in battles."
"We seek a real national partnership that satisfies all Egyptians and placates and contains the youth," he added in comments reported by Al-Jarida on Friday.
El-Sisi garnered approximately 93 percent of ballots cast in the three-day presidential vote that concluded on Wednesday, according to preliminary counts. Leftist politician Hamdeen Sabahi, El-Sisi's sole rival, gained a modest three percent, while 3.7 percent of the votes were declared void.
Sabahi, a longtime opposition figure, conceded defeat Thursday but expressed doubt over the estimated turnout of 46 percent, particularly after a vote extension for an extra day by authorities.
The official results of the elections are due on 3-4 June.