US State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki denied late on Tuesday earlier reports that militants, in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, targeted a US Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) camp.
Psaki, in a State Department’s press briefing, also denied reports that an MFO solider was wounded.
The spokesperson, however, said a US contractor was slightly injured as a result of a stray round fired in the vicinity.
The contractor has since received treatment, released and returned to duty, Psaki stated.
Ahram Online published a story earlier on Tuesday, citing Reuters’ Aswat Masriya, stating that security sources told Aswat Masriya a US soldier with the multinational peacekeeping mission in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula was wounded when gunmen fired at his camp late on Monday.
The MFO is an international peacekeeping mission in Sinai, adjoining Israel and the Palestinian Gaza Strip, responsible for observing the enforcement of the terms of Egypt's 1979 peace treaty with Israel, which led to the withdrawal of Israeli forces from the peninsula.
Egypt has been hit by an Islamist insurgency by Sinai-based militants since the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi. The attacks have mainly targeted soldiers and police but also caused civilian casualties.
The army has launched an extensive campaign to root out the militants. Similar attacks have also been reported in Cairo and the Nile Delta.