Last Update 23:16
Sunday, 20 October 2019

Funerals of some killed Sinai soldiers postponed until DNA testing

Coordinated attacks Thursday in Egypt's restive North Sinai governorate resulted in the death of at least 30, including army personnel and civilians

Ahram Online , Saturday 31 Jan 2015
.
A screenshot from a television broadcast of the funeral of a soldier in the Nile Delta governorate of Gharbiya
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1435
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1435

The funerals of some soldiers killed in Thursday's Sinai attacks are currently on hold until DNA tests are performed on their unidentified bodies.

On 29 January, coordinated terrorist attacks in the restive North Sinai governorate resulted in the death of at least 30, including army personnel and civilians.

No official toll has been released. Reports by local and international media quoted anonymous sources putting the death toll at 30-32, while Al-Jazeera said 42 had been killed.

In the Nile Delta governorate of Damietta, security sources told Al-Ahram Arabic website that the funeral of conscripts Ahmed Abdel-Baky, 22, and Ahmed Mahmoud, 21, would probably be postponed until a DNA test is performed to identify their remains.

However, some funerals were held for some soliders.

On Friday, a military funeral was held in Cairo for some army personnel. The funeral was led by Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab, Minister of Defense Sedky Sobhi and Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim, among others.

In Upper Egypt's Assuit governorate, thousands attended the funeral of 22-year-old conscript Ali Abdel-Rahman.

The Sinai-based militant group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis claimed responsibility for Thursday's attacks on an affiliated Twitter account.

The group, which has claimed a number of attacks in the peninsula, pledged in November its allegiance to the Islamic State (IS), the militant group that controls large swathes of Iraq and Syria.

Following the attack, Egypt's President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi cut short a trip to Addis Ababa, where he was attending the 24th African Union Summit.

El-Sisi, in comments to the press before he left Ethiopia, said the attacks are "the price Egyptians are paying" for ousting the Muslim Brotherhood from power in 2013.

A statement by the army spokesman Friday said the attacks won't deter the armed forces from their "duty of uprooting terrorism."

Attacks by militant groups based in North Sinai have spiked since the ouster of president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013, with security forces being the primary targets. The armed forces have responded by waging a military campaign aimed at eradicating militants from Sinai.

Parts of North Sinai are currently under an 11-hour curfew that was put in place following another deadly attack on 24 October that left 31 soldiers dead.

The curfew was initially imposed for three months but was extended last week for another three months, to expire 24 April.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.