Italy's Prime Minister Matteo Renzi and Egypt's president Abdel Fattah El-Sisi discussed ongoing fighting in Libya and Europe's migrant crisis on the phone on Tuesday, according to a presidency statement.
Renzi said that the Libyan crisis presented a danger not just to Egypt and Italy, but also to the world, according to the statement.
El-Sisi said that the international community should support Libyan's government, parliament and army based in Tobruk, it stated.
In January, the Islamic State militant group, just one of several militia groups currently fighting Libya's internationally-recognised government in Tobruk, decapitated 20 Coptic Egyptian migrant workers in Libya, prompting Egypt to launch air strikes against alleged IS targets in the country.
Renzi also spoke of the migrant crisis on the southern shores of Europe.
The prime minister last week called for emergency talks after over 950 migrants drowned trying to cross reach Europe by boat across the Mediterranean.
Huge numbers of migrants from Africa and North Africa have travelled to Libya in the hope of paying traffickers to cross over to Europe from its shores.