Last Update 12:53
Friday, 04 December 2020

Egyptian army says 725 'terrorists' killed in North Sinai over last 6 months

Military releases a report detailing their campaign against militants in North Sinai

Ahram Online , Saturday 9 May 2015
.
Egypt's spokesperson of the Armed Forces Mohamed Samir (Photo: Courtesy of Egypt's army spokesman's official Facebook page)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2783
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2783

The Egyptian army released on Saturday a semi-annual report detailing the security forces' campaign against Islamist militants in North Sinai in which they said they had killed 725 militants in the governorate.

The report, which spans the period from 25 October last year to 30 April of this year, was published on the army spokesman's official Facebook page.

The highest number of "terrorists" killed took place in February, with 173 killed. In January, the lowest numbers of killings was reported, at 44 dead.

The report also stated that 1,873 suspects were arrested; the most were reported in November at 575, and the least in January at 158.

Aside from the suspects arrested, the report stated that 206 other wanted individuals were apprehended.

In addition, 591 vehicles with no licence plates were confiscated and destroyed, along with 1,447 motorcycles.

Previous army statements reveal that most assailants attacking police and army personnel use cars and motorcycles without licence plates.

The report also stated that 1,823 terrorist hideouts were destroyed, including underground bunkers, trenches, shacks, tents, and abandoned houses.

The majority of these incidents took place in November, with a total of 1,023 hideouts destroyed.

The report also lists numbers and types of weaponry confiscated, including 80,927 bullets of various sizes.

Egypt's army is currently fighting a campaign against a decade-long militant insurgency in North Sinai.

Militants have killed hundreds of police and army personnel in the past year and a half in North Sina, while the authorities have announced that hundreds of militants have been killed in military campaigns in the governorate.

The Islamist group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis has claimed responsibility for most attacks against the security forces in Sinai.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.