Last Update 23:1
Monday, 09 December 2019

15 security sites attacked simultaneously in North Sinai, says IS

Ahram Online , Wednesday 1 Jul 2015
Sinai
Egyptian army near Al-Arish in the Sinai peninsula (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4603
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4603

Islamic State-affiliated Sinai Province, previously known as Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, has claimed responsibility for the ongoing attacks on military sites in North Sinai that have killed at least 20 soldiers so far.

In a statement circulated on Twitter accounts affiliated to the group, IS explained that its allies had mounted 15 simultaneously attacks on military sites, including "martyrdom operations" on Al-Arish's officers club and two checkpoints in Sheikh Zuweid.

Eleven checkpoints and a police station in Sheikh Zuweid were attacked by militants using missiles, the statement added.  

As reported by news outlets, the group said that it had prevented reinforcements from approaching the attack sites, and used air defence missiles in response to attacks by Egyptian military jets.

Sinai Province has claimed responsibility for a number of large-scale attacks across Egypt.

In October last year, at least 31 security officers and soldiers were killed in two separate attacks on military checkpoints in Sheikh Zuweid and Al-Arish.

Moreover, the group claimed in January that it had raided six different military and police sites in North Sinai in attacks which left at least 44 killed.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.