Activists call for a protest in front of the ministry of interior building on Monday, 6 June – the anniversary of Khaled Said’s torture and death, allegedly at the hands of Egyptian police. The activists perceive that the police are picking their torture practices back up post-revolution.
Cases in point include forty-year-old chauffer, Mohamed Saeed, who was pronounced dead Friday after clashing with a senior police officer outside a downtown Cairo police station and was taken inside with 13 other mini-bus drivers for parking violations.
It is not clear what caused his death.
A crowd of about 200, primarily family members and other drivers accused police of torturing him and gathered around the station in protest, asking to see the body. A police car was set on fire in the process.
Security sources denied any foul play and said Saeed seemed to have collapsed of low blood pressure. His body had been transferred to the morgue for an autopsy. The interior ministry said it was investigating the incident.
The unfortunate incident came in the wake of another case of alleged torture murder of a man at the hands of police forces in Beau-Lac Police Station.
Activists said the minister of interior’s statement - which held that the police are not accountable for yesterday’s death - is unacceptable. They also called for the Minister of Interior Mansour El-Eissawi’s resignation.
Furthermore, they demand that all policemen convicted of torture to see harsh retribution and be sacked from the police force.
According to eyewitnesses, Khaled Said’s death on 6 June 2010 was a result of a vicious attack by two robust policemen who beat him to death at the entrance of a residential building before several pedestrians. The victim was 28.
It’s deemed the most famous police brutality incident in Egypt, causing widespread wrath and the youth to organise themselves on Facebook to stage peaceful protests. It's even believed to be one of the reasons behind the 25 January Revolution.