Last Update 22:30
Million man march in Tahrir Square gets underway
Tens of thousands of protesters are in Tahrir Square right now as the sit-in steps up a notch on its fourth day with a march on Cabinet headquarters
Ahram Online, Tuesday 12 Jul 2011
Share/Bookmark
Views: 6530
Tahrir square
Tahrir square (Photo by Mai Shaheen)

As the sun was setting, tens of thousands of protesters began marching in Tahrir Square, responding to an invitation for a million-man march that is planned to head towards the cabinet office.

Some of the protesters chanted slogans against the Ministry of Interior and the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF).

Others called on Field Marshal, and de-facto president, Hussein Tantawi to step down.

Traffic in downtown Cairo has not been blocked so far despite the increasing number of demonstrators.

Mohamed Adel, spokesman of the April 6 Youth Movement, says there is no intention to block traffic or to call for civil disobedience.

On the other hand, Bothaina Kamel, TV presenter and the only female presidential candidate, took one of the podiums to say: “The Mogamma [the largest governmental administrative building in Egypt] will be opened on Wednesday and Thursday [as previously announced] in order for those who intend to go on pilgrimage or Umrah to be able to finish their paperwork."

Ahmed Ezzat, member of the Popular Committees for Defence of the Revolution, said: “After today’s protest we are planning to start other marches tomorrow from working class neighborhoods, including Imbaba.

“We are not worried over the possibility of losing public support; when we staged a sit-in in protest against the appointment of Ahmed Shafik as prime minister we were less than a thousand. But eventually we achieved what we were after and were praised by everyone.

“Now there are thousands in the current sit-in, which means we are on the right track.”

At around 6pm, around three thousand protesters marched from the square towards the Cabinet office to demonstrate their displeasure with the interim government's handling of the revolution's demnds.

The demonstrators mainly chanted varied slogans against the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) while marching. Other protesters remain in Tahrir Square to protect it from possible raids, while some organised a popular committee to protect the National Museum with others manning entrances in to the square

Some of the marchers, whose mood was quite upbeat, stood next to parked cars on El-Qasr El-Eini Street to protect the vehicles from any possible, and unintentional, damage.

Others formed a human shield around the parliamentary premises.

The street is overcrowded but there haven’t been any signs of hostility so far.

The military officer responsible for securing the Cabinet‘s headquarters ordered the Central Security Forces deployed in the area to keep out of the protesters’ way as the latter were chanting “peaceful, peaceful.”

The march on El-Qasr El-Eini Street was joined up by another one coming from Parliament Street. Seconds later, the protesters chanted “one hand.” Later a huge Egyptian flag was unfurled in Parliament Street with protesters chanting: "It's our army, [Field Marshal] Tantawy don't try to scare us," and "the people and the army are one hand."

As the protesters marched in El-Qasr El-Eini Street, other people greeted them from the balconies of buildings on both sides of the square. "We are either bring back their [the martyrs who were killed in the first days of the revolution] rights, or die like them," chanted the protesters.





Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 4000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
2



Abe
13-07-2011 08:32am
0-
0+
The lost cause
When the revolution started 6 months ago, I was full of hope for my mother country. Now I see the real face of SCAF. They are a mixture of Hosni Mubarak, the Moslem Brotherhood and even the Salafists all in one. They have warmed their chairs, they like their power and they are not moving. Whatever the intentions of SCAF, I have great faith in the Egyptian revolutionaries to extract them from their comfort and get someone serious to do their job. The blood of eight hundred martyrs has not been spilled for SCAF to get comfortable, they should go back to their barracks, then the country will be better off.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



ANNETTE
13-07-2011 06:52am
0-
0+
MILLION MAN MARCH ON CABINET
GO EGYPT MY HEROES MY INSPIRATION I LOVE YOU MORE POWER TO YOU THE US NEEDS TO TAKE LESSONS ON STANDING FOR WHATS RIGHT
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment

© 2010 Ahram Online. Advertising