Mark Toner, deputy spokesperson for the US State Department, was reported by MENA early Tuesday as saying that his country "agrees with Egypt on the importance of holding culprits in the assassination of the former public prosecutor...to account."
The statements come after the arrest of 14 in the past two days in connection with last year’s assassination of Egypt’s Prosecutor General Hisham Barakat.
Egyptian Interior Minister Magdy Abdel-Ghaffar said on Sunday that exiled Muslim Brotherhood officials and militants from the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas planned the assassination of Barakat.
Toner said during a press briefing in Washington that the US has been informed of the arrest of some suspects and that evidence is being collected in connection with the attack.
He added that Washington continues to cooperate with Egypt in the fight against terrorism.
Barakat, 64, was killed last June when a car bomb hit his convoy in Cairo's upscale district of Heliopolis.
Barakat, the most senior government official to be assassinated following Morsi’s overthrow, was regarded as an enemy to Islamists after referring thousands to trial following the ouster of Morsi in 2013.