Last Update 22:22
Wednesday, 24 July 2019

Regeni case remains open, says Egypt FM

Egypt's FM Sameh Shoukry said that resolving the case could take a long time

Ahram Online , Tuesday 12 Apr 2016
Giulio Regeni (Photo:Facebook)
Giulio Regeni (Photo:Facebook)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1716
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1716

Egypt's foreign minister Sameh Shoukry said on Tuesday that the case of the Italian student who was killed in Cairo in January remains open, state owned MENA agency reported.

The Egyptian FM said at a press conference that there is keenness from the Egyptian and Italian sides to reach the truth and determine the culprits behind the murder of 28-year-old PhD student Giulio Regeni.

He stressed that "exceptional" cooperation was still ongoing between Egyptian and Italian investigators due to the "special" relationship between the two countries.

He pointed out that an Egyptian delegation of investigators agreed to demands by Italian counterparts during last week's meetings in Rome, with the exception of a request for access to logs from phone calls, as it would be a violation of the Egyptian constitution and laws. 

Egyptian investigators said that the Italians had demanded the call logs of thousands of phone numbers in the area where Regeni lived and where his body was found.

Shoukry said that a joint effort to identify the culprits might take a long time, citing investigations into the assassination of Egypt's prosecutor-general Hisham Barakat in June 2015, which took one year. 

On Sunday, Shoukry expressed dismay to his Italian counterpart Paolo Gentiloni over what he described as "the politicisation" of Italy's handling of the Regeni case, following Italy's decision to recall its envoy to Egypt for consultations. 

Regeni vanished from the streets of Cairo on 25 January, and his body was discovered in a ditch on the outskirts of the city nine days later, showing signs of extensive torture.

Last month, Egyptian police said they had found Regeni's passport and other belongings in the possession of one of the families of a member of an alleged gang of kidnappers who robbed foreigners.

Police killed all four alleged robbers in a shootout in late March, with Italian officials expressing scepticism over the development.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.