Last Update 0:25
Wednesday, 13 November 2019

Cairo ready to share results of Sinai plane crash probe: Russia's top prosecutor

The Russian airliner was downed in an apparent terrorist attack, killing all 224 on board

Ahram Online , Thursday 28 Jul 2016
Russian airliner
Egypt's Prime Minister Sherif Ismail looks at what is left of a Russian airliner after it crashed in Egypt's central Sinai in October 2015. (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4199
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4199

Egyptian authorities are ready to provide Moscow with the latest information on the progress of Cairo's probe into the crash of a Russian passenger jet in Sinai last October that killed all 224 people on board, a Russian government spokesman said Wednesday

Egypt's prosecutor-general, Nabil Sadek, along with other top government officials, held talks on Wednesday with Russian prosecutor-general Yuri Chaika in Moscow where both sides signed a memorandum of cooperation between the two countries’ prosecution authorities.

"The prosecutor-general of the Arab Republic of Egypt expressed readiness in case of need to provide to the Russian prosecutor-general's office and other concerned departments information about the status of the investigation into the A321 plane crash in October 2015," spokesman of the Russian prosecutor-general’s office Alexander Kurennoi told Russia's TASS news agency.

"The two sides also discussed various issues related to cooperation in the legal sphere and in the fight against international crime," Kurennoi added.

An Egyptian delegation consisting of the minister of civil aviation, the prosecutor-general, and the head of the committee investigating the crash flew to Moscow earlier this week to provide Russian officials with the latest findings in Cairo's investigation.

Moscow suspended all civil flights to Egypt over security concerns in the wake of the crash. The plane was en route from the Egyptian resort city of Sharm El-Sheikh to St Petersburg in Russia.

Egypt has said that it fulfilled 85 percent of Russia’s demands regarding aviation safety and is now expecting steps to be taken by the Russian side towards resuming flights.

Russia said a bomb destroyed the airliner, and Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi suggested in February that the plane was downed due to "terrorism." 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.