Last Update 16:12
Wednesday, 02 December 2020

US strongly condemns Egypt's North Sinai attacks

Ahram Online , Tuesday 10 Jan 2017
White House
File Photo: The White House in Washington, DC (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2165
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2165

The United States has said it strongly condemns a terrorist attack on two checkpoints in Egypt's North Sinai governorate that left at least nine people dead and dozens injured, a press statement by the White House read.

On Monday, unknown militants attacked two North Sinai security checkpoints, killing nine people according to the latest death toll, and wounding 21 others.

According to security sources who spoke with state-owned MENA news agency, eight policemen and one civilian were killed while 11 policemen and 10 civilians were also injured in the attacks.

“The United States remains firmly committed to Egypt's security and will continue to support the Government of Egypt as it contends with ongoing threats from terrorist groups in the Sinai and elsewhere,” US National Security Council (NSC) spokesperson Ned Price said in the release.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attacks, which come only a few days after the army said it had foiled a plot by militants to attack several North Sinai checkpoints on Friday. The army spokesperson said the forces were able to kill nine militants and injure 16 others last week.

The Egyptian army and police have been battling an entrenched Islamist insurgency for several years in North Sinai.
 

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.