Last Update 17:51
Sunday, 26 January 2020

6 April ‘Democratic Front’ deplores police brutality in Tahrir

The 6 April Youth Movement 'Democratic Front' denounces bloody police attacks on "peaceful" protesters in the epicentre of the Egyptian revolution

Sherif Tarek , Saturday 19 Nov 2011
Views: 2006
Views: 2006

The 6 April Youth Movement, "Democratic Front", has denounced the police’s ongoing bloody attacks on "peaceful" protesters in Tahrir Square, and called on Minister of Interior Mansour El-Essawy to step down.

The group described the approach of the Central Security Forces (CSF) as an "excessive assault on unarmed protesters" and "systematic violence against those who were injured during the revolution and peaceful protesters."

Tarek El-Kholy, a Democratic Front spokesperson, said “We refuse the barbarism that Tahrir Square is now witnessing from policemen.”

The Democratic Front was one of many political forces who opted not to spend the night in Tahrir Square after the "Friday of One Demand" demonstration.

“The Ministry of Interior needs to immediately stop this excessive assault on unarmed protesters. It seems that [toppled president Hosni] Mubarak’s regime and the men of [ex-Interior Minister Habib] El-Adly are still in power.

“We need El-Essawy to step down. He proved that he’s a weak man. We are demanding his immediate departure.”   

Earlier this morning, Central Security Forces forcibly dispersed the few demonstrators who remained in Tahrir Square following yesterday’s protest.

Riot police dismantled the few tents left over from yesterday and have reportedly arrested several activists in the process of evacuating the square.

After the police attacks, protesters — joined by others — returned to the central island of Tahrir Square as the CSF withdrew from Tahrir.

Earlier, demonstrators pelted six CSF blue vans with stones as they left the Ministry of Interior’s headquarters, crossing through Tahrir.

Soon after, one of the protesters hijacked one van (though it cannot be confirmed that it was one of the six) and drove it back to Tahrir, where comrades set it on fire.

The police eventually resorted to tear gas in an attempt to evacuate Tahrir Square. Some 81 people were reported injured and many others were arrested.

Most of the political forces that took part in Friday’s demonstration opted not to sit-in at Tahrir, leaving defenceless a handful of protesters who decided otherwise.

Approximately 50 demonstrators, who described themselves as the "revolution's injured alliance,” staged a sit-in to protest continued military rule and demand the implementation of longstanding revolutionary demands.

Short link:



© 2010 Ahram Online.