Last Update 22:19
Friday, 15 December 2017

Death toll from North Sinai mosque attack rises to 305

The attack is one of the deadliest in Egypt's recent memory

Ahram Online , Saturday 25 Nov 2017
Mosque
People stand outside Al Rawdah mosque, where a bomb exploded, in Bir Al-Abed, Egypt November 25, 2017. (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 9390
Share/Bookmark
Views: 9390

At least 305 worshippers were killed and 128 were injured during Friday prayers at a North Sinai mosque by gunmen belonging to the terrorist group Daesh, making it the deadliest terrorist attack in Egypt’s recent memory.

The victims, who were praying at Al-Rawdah Mosque in Bir Al-Abd city, include 27 children killed in the attack, Egypt's prosecutor-general announced on Saturday.

The prosecutor-general said that according to eyewitnesses, 25 to 30 gunmen in camouflage trousers and bearing the Daesh black flag rode up to the mosque in five SUVs and started shooting at worshippers.

The gunmen, some of whom wore masks, attacked the mosque as the imam was starting the Friday sermon.

No group has claimed the responsibility of the attack so far.

Most of the terrorist attacks to take place in North Sinai in recent years mainly targeted security forces, and have been claimed by the Daesh-affiliated North Sinai-based group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis.

In January 2017, the Daesh-affiliated online publication Rumiyah released an interview with an alleged leading figure in Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, who described Al-Rawdah village as a Sufi centre, adding that the group is fighting Sufism in North Sinai.

In late 2016, Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis claimed responsibility for killing Sinai's oldest Sufi Sheikh Soliman El-Harez as well as the destruction of two Sufi shrines.

Sufism, often described as “Islamic mysticism,” involves a spiritual form of worship where adherents attempt to become close with God through meditation and asceticism.

Daesh considers Sufi Muslims to be heretics.

Al-Rawdah Mosque was built by El-Jaririyah, one of Sinai's largest Sufi orders.

Earlier today, Egypt’s army said that its air forces launched strikes in North Sinai, killing a number of terrorists involved in the Friday attack.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.