Last Update 13:19
Tuesday, 31 March 2020

Egypt 'strongly condemns' firing of ballistic missile at Riyadh from Yemen

Ahram Online , Tuesday 19 Dec 2017
Ahmed Abu Zeid
Ahmed Abu Zeid, Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Egypt (Photo: Courtesy of Ahmed Abu Zeid official twitter account)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2930
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2930

Egypt's has condemned “in the strongest terms” the targeting of the Saudi capital Riyadh by a ballistic missile fired from Yemen on Tuesday, a statement by the foreign ministry read on Tuesday.

"Egypt affirms it stands by the Saudi Arabian government and people in the face of any attempt to disrupt its stability and security," the statement said.

Egypt also called on the immediate ending of targeting Saudi territories and bringing to account those responsible for such hostilities with respect to international law and the United Nations' charter, that enforce the respect for countries’ sovereignty and good neighbour policy.

Earlier today, Saudi air defences intercepted a ballistic missile fired towards Riyadh.

"Coalition forces confirmed intercepting an Iranian-Houthi missile," the Center for International Communication, an arm of the Saudi information ministry, said on Twitter on Tuesday.

The ballistic missile was intercepted south of the capital, and the missile did not cause any damage, the Al-Saudiya TV channel announced in a news flash.

The Houthis, who are battling a Saudi-led coalition in neighbouring Yemen, said it had fired a ballistic missile towards the Saudi capital.

Today's incident comes days after Washington accused Tehran of manufacturing a missile fired by the Yemeni rebels at the Saudi capital last month.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.