Last Update 23:11
Saturday, 25 January 2020

Egypt stresses support for Saudi Arabia after ballistic missile attacks

One Egyptian man was killed by falling shrapnel in Riyadh as Saudi air-defence forces intercepted missiles fired from Yemen on Sunday

Ahram Online , Monday 26 Mar 2018
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3009
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3009

Egypt's foreign ministry has issued a statement strongly condemning the ballistic missile attacks on Saudi Arabia on Sunday, expressing solidarity with the government and people of the kingdom and supporting whatever action it takes to preserve its security.

In a statement on Monday, the ministry also offered its condolences to the family of an Egyptian citizen who was killed by falling shrapnel in the Saudi capital Riyadh as air-defence forces responded to a number of missiles fired from Yemeni territory.

Egyptian authorities are paying for the body of Abdel Motaleb Ahmed Hussein to be transferred to Egypt, the ministry said.

Egypt's ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Nasser Hamdy, visited the Shomiasy Hospital in Riyadh on Sunday to check on the condition of two other Egyptians who were injured in the incident.

Saudi forces intercepted seven missiles fired from Yemen on Sunday on the eve of the third anniversary of the Saudi-led coalition's intervention in Yemen. They say the missiles were fire by Houthi fighters in Yemen who are locked in a years-long conflict with Saudi Arabia.

The Saudi military said that Houthi militants have fired dozens of missiles into Saudi Arabia since last year, all of which were intercepted.

Ten thousand people have been killed during the war in Yemen since Saudi Arabia's intervention in the country, with two million Yemenis displaced, and one million people suffering from cholera, Reuters reported.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.