Egypt and Italy have said that footage recovered from security cameras at Cairo's metro stations showed no images of Italian student Guilio Regeni, deeming the footage "unhelpful" in the investigations into the 2016 death of the Italian national in Cairo.
In a joint statement released on Wednesday, the two countries' prosecutions, who are cooperating in investigating in the case, said the footage, which had been undergoing recovery over the past month, did not show Regeni inside or near Cairo’s metro stations.
However, several "gaps" were found in the recordings, with both prosecutions agreeing on the necessity of carrying out advanced technical tests to determine why these gaps exist.
Representatives from both prosecutions are set to meet at a later date after the technical tests are carried out.
Egyptian and Italian authorities have been cooperating in the ongoing investigation into the murder of the Italian student, who was conducting research on independent trade unions when he went missing on the fifth anniversary of Egypt’s 2011 Revolution, before he was found dead 10 days later bearing signs of torture.
In December, Egypt's President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi underscored in a meeting in Cairo with then-Italian Minister of Interior Marco Minniti his country’s "sincere determination" to reach final conclusions in the investigation.