Last Update 21:24
Sunday, 16 June 2019

Egypt's PM says attacked Giza tourist bus 'deviated from pre-planned, secured route'

Madbouly says terrorism is a global phenomenon facing all countries; security forces in Egypt are taking the most necessary measures to combat it, including strong pre-emptive strikes directed against terrorist spots

Ahram Online , Friday 28 Dec 2018
Mostafa Madbouly
Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouky at Al-Haram Hospital (C) with Egyptian Minister of Health Hala Zayed speaking to the media following the Vietnamese bus incident in Giza (Photo: Screenshot from privately owned channel CBC extra news)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4935
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4935

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly told reporters that the tour bus carrying 14 Vietnamese tourists and two Egyptian tourism workers, which was the target of a deadly attack Friday evening, deviated from its pre-planned, secured route without notifying security officials before it was hit by an improvised eplosive device.

The Prime Minister announced that the death toll, which was initially set at two Vietnamese tourists, had risen to three after the representative of the tour company on the trip succumbed to his injuries.

The PM said that the number of injured still under treatment stands at 10 with two in critical condition.

Madbouly pointed out that terrorism is a global phenomenon facing all countries, stressing that security forces in Egypt are taking the most necessary measures to combat the phenomenon, including strong pre-emptive strikes directed against terrorist spots.

The Egyptian Prime Minister added that "such sinful incident' [like tonight's] does not diminish the efforts of the state in protecting tourists in the country."

Madbouly's comments to reporters came after he concluded a visit to El-Haram Hospital to follow up on the status and treatment of those injured in the attack.

Earlier in the evening, Egypt's Interior Ministry issued a statement saying that the explosion, which took place on 6:15 PM, had injured 10 of the 14 Vietnamese tourists on the bus in addition to their Egyptian bus driver and the representative of the tour company.

Prime Minister Madbouly told reporters that all tourstim trips and their routes are highly secured in a detailed manner by the interior ministry.

Madbouly explained that, however, the bus carrying the Vietnamese tourists deviated from the pre-determined, secured route without apriori notifying security officials.

"I just want to highlight that following the incident, all state bodies swiftly moved to help secure the tourists and offer the necessary care," Madbouly told reporters. 

Madbouly said the Egyptian authorities have been in contact with the embassy of Vietnam.

He said that 20 ambulances were immediately dispatched to the site of the explosion. 

The Egyptian PM also highlighted that Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi is closely following up on the incident. 

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.