The current head of Egypt’s Journalists Syndicate Abdel-Mohsen Salama announced on Thursday that he will not be running for another term in the upcoming syndicate election, Salama said in a statement.
Salama, who is also the head of Al-Ahram news organisation, said that he will not be running so he can focus on his duties as chairman of Al-Ahram, which employs around 50 percent of employees in Egypt’s national press institutions.
Salama stressed that he looks forward to cooperating with his successor and the syndicate’s General Assembly, wishing them all success in their duties.
Meanwhile, former head of the press syndicate Diaa Rashwan announced last week his intention to run in the coming election.
In March 2017, Salama received 2,457 votes, while his competitor Yehia Kalash, Salama’s now-predecessor, received 1,890 votes, out of a total 4,523 votes, according to Al-Ahram Arabic news website.
Salama's has served as syndicate head for two years.
Candidates wishing to run for the post have until 10 February to nominate themselves for the position.