Last Update 4:34
Monday, 06 July 2020

Egypt forensic chief: Port Said football victims weren't shot

Country's leading forensic authority says most Port Said football victims died from blows to the head and suffocation

Ahram Online, Thursday 2 Feb 2012
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1562
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1562

Egypt's chief forensic doctor Ashraf El-Refai stated on Thursday that none of the victims of Wednesday night's football violence in Port Said, which left dozens dead and hundreds injured, had sustained gunshot wounds.

According to El-Refai, most of the casualties died from blows to the head by blunt objects and suffocation owing to the stampede that accompanied the violence.

El-Rafei went on to note that only brief medical examinations had been performed on the bodies of victims, since most of the latter's families did not want autopsies carried out.

At least 71 people were killed and roughly a thousand injured on Wednesday evening in violence between rival football fans following a league match in Port Said between teams Ahly and Masry.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Kamal El-Ganzouri announced his decision to sack the Port Said governor and security director, along with the board of the Egyptian Football Association, as a result of the violence.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.