Last Update 12:52
Monday, 17 June 2019

Islamic State group claims responsibility for El-Arish terrorist attack

AFP , Ahram Online , Wednesday 5 Jun 2019
armored vehicle
File Photo: Egyptian Army soldiers patrol in an armored vehicle backed by a helicopter gunship during a sweep through villages in Sheikh Zuweyid, North Sinai (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2568
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2568

The Islamic State terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attack that killed eight Egyptian policemen in the restive Sinai Peninsula on Wednesday, as the country marked the Islamic holiday of Eid Al-Fitr.

"Islamic State fighters this morning launched two simultaneous attacks on two police checkpoints in the city of El-Arish," said a statement released by the terrorist group's propaganda wing, Amaq.

It claimed that 10 policemen were killed in the two attacks; one at a checkpoint south of El-Arish and another at a checkpoint in a "nearby area."

The statement said that the twin operations were designed to divide the attention of security forces and give militants enough time to pull back before reinforcements arrived.

The interior ministry said that eight Egyptian policemen were killed in an attack in the northeastern region, a hotbed of a years-long insurgency by terrorists, some linked to the Islamic State.

Egyptian state television said there were fears the death toll could rise, amid reports of attacks on multiple checkpoints.

Hundreds of police officers and soldiers have been killed in attacks which surged after the army's ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.

The Interior Ministry said last month it had intelligence that terrorists were planning attacks on "important and vital facilities" as well as prominent figures in El-Arish.

In late 2017, North Sinai was the scene of the deadliest terrorist attack in Egypt's modern history when militants killed more than 300 worshippers at a mosque, without any group claiming responsibility.

In February 2018, the army launched a nationwide offensive against the Islamist terrorists, focused mainly on North Sinai.

According to official figures, around 650 terrorists have been killed since the start of the operation, while the army has lost some 50 soldiers.

This article was edited by Ahram Online

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.