Last Update 16:1
Tuesday, 22 October 2019

Death toll among anti-police protesters rises, bloody clashes continue in Cairo and Suez

In clashes between demonstrators and police, still ongoing in Cairo and Suez, the death toll rises to twelve as thousands pour out anger at police for alleged role in Port Said football stadium massacre

Ahram Online, Saturday 4 Feb 2012
Clashes at MOI
A wounded protester is evacuated during clashes with security forces in Cairo February 2, 2012. (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2262
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2262

Suez General Hospital declared on Saturday that they received three protesters dead upon arrival, raising the death in the Canal city from toll clashes between demonstrators and police to seven.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health has also announced that three more protesters have died in Cairo on Saturday morning.

These new fatalities brings up the total of protesters who have been killed since clashes erupted on Thursday between thousands of demonstrators and police forces in Cairo, Suez, and other Egyptian cities, to twelve .

Suez Hospital confirmed that at least one of those killed, the 21-year-old Mehana Abu Emeira, died from a bullet to his chest.

The hospital also said they expected the death toll to continue to rise, since many of the protesters were gravely injured. Meanwhile, many of the injured are being transported to Cairo hospitals because Suez hospital's capacity is limited.

In Cairo, clashes between police and demonstrators are also still ongoing on Saturday close the Ministry of Interior (MOI) building near Tahrir Square, interrupted by brief periods of calm.

Following the Port Said stadium clashes, which left 74 dead on Wednesday night, Ultras Ahlawy – hard-core Ahly supporters hit the streets Wednesday night, demanding justice for the death of their fellow fans and the removal of Egypt’s military junta from power.

The massacre, which took place after some individuals among Port Said's El-Masry football fans attacked Cairo's Ahly fans at the end of the Egyptian League game, are blamed on lacklustre police security efforts.

So far, the identity and motivation of the clashes are still in question.

However, eyewitnesses and some commentators alleged security forces, who hold a grudge against Ahly Ultras because of clashes between the two during the revolution, allowed the massacre to take place.

The bitter confrontation between Central Security Forces and protesters at the Ministry of Interior heated up Thursday evening as thousands of youth surrounded the four streets leading to the MOI, chanting, cursing, hurling stones and lobbing tear gas canisters launched against them by the police back at the armoured security vehicles and  forces.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.