Last Update 4:34
Monday, 06 July 2020

Kuwait says Egyptian expat among two new coronavirus cases

Egypt's Ministry of Health announced on Sunday the death of a German citizen from the coronavirus, the first death from the virus in the country.

Ahram Online , Sunday 8 Mar 2020
Kuwait
FILE PHOTO: A woman wears a protective face mask, following the outbreak of the new coronavirus, in Kuwait, February 25, 2020. REUTERS
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3067
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3067

The Kuwaiti Ministry of Health announced on Sunday the registering of two new coronavirus cases, including one Egyptian expatriate, Kuwait's Minister of Health Abdallah Al-Sanad said in a statement. 

"The two new cases are a female citizen who came back to Kuwait from Iran and an Egyptian expatriate who had travelled to Azerbaijan via the United Arab Emirates. The Egyptian expatriate had returned via the same route and hadn't visited Egypt during the past six months," the statement said.

"The Egyptian expatriate checked in at an emergency ward with the Kuwaiti Ministry of Health. He was placed under quarantine is currently at a specialised hospital," it added. 

With the two new cases, the overall number of coronavirus infections in Kuwait has climbed to 64, according to Kuwaiti official figures. 

On Saturday, Kuwait said it was suspending all flights to seven countries, including Egypt, for one week in an effort to contain the spread of coronavirus outbreak.

The Gulf country said it is suspending all flights to and from Egypt, Bangladesh, the Philippines, India, Sri Lanka, Syria and Lebanon to "stem the spread of COVID-19 and protect public health."

Several Gulf countries have introduced restrictions on travellers from Egypt.

The coronavirus has infected over 100,000 people and killed over 3,000 globally.

In the past weeks, Egypt had upped preventive measures at all entry points nationwide.

The Egyptian expatriate had not visited Egypt during the past six months, Kuwait's Ministry of Health said.

On Sunday, Egypt's Ministry of Health announced the death of a German citizen from the coronavirus, the first death from the virus in the country.

Egypt's Health Minister Hala Zayed also said earlier on Sunday that the first Egyptian citizen confirmed to have contracted the coronavirus earlier this month is in "critical condition."

The 44-year-old patient is currently receiving treatment at a quarantine hospital in Marsa Matrouh governorate.

On Saturday, Egypt's Ministry of Health announced that 45 people, including 19 foreign tourists, tested positive for the coronavirus in an outbreak on board a Nile cruise travelling between Luxor and Aswan.

The patients were transferred to the quarantine hospital in Marsa Matrouh city.

 

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.