Egypt reported 54 new coronavirus infections and five new fatalities on Tuesday, bringing the total to 710 cases and 46 deaths.
The health ministry said that the 54 new patients are all Egyptians, and include those who arrived from abroad recently as well as some who contracted the disease from previously discovered cases.
According to the statement, two of the five new fatalities passed away on their way to quarantine hospitals.
The health ministry also revealed that seven Egyptians were discharged from quarantine hospitals after a complete recovery, bringing the total number of fully recovered patients in the country to 157 so far.
The total number of patients whose PCR tests have generated a negative result increased to 205.
In a video message published on the ministry’s official Facebook page on Tuesday, Health Minister Hala Zayed stated that the global average is 105 coronavirus patients per 1 million citizens, while the death rate is 5.1 cases per 1 million.
In Egypt, however, it is six cases per 1 million citizens, while the death rate is 0.4 in 1 million, she said, describing Egypt’s situation as stable.
In the video message, Zayed pleaded with Egyptians returning from abroad, and all those who have been in touch with those who have tested positive, to follow the precautionary procedures and instructions of the health ministry, above all the 14-days of self-isolation.
The government has implemented a number of measures to stem the outbreak, suspending international flights, shutting schools and universities, banning mass gatherings and shuttering mosques and churches.
It has also implemented a nationwide curfew from 7pm to 6am.