Egypt is implementing all precautionary and preventive measures required for an anticipated resumption of international flights, a Tuesday statement by the cabinet read.
Civil Aviation Minister Mohamed Manar Ennaba reviewed preparations and measures implemented at the country’s airports for the resumption of international flights, the statement read.
Ennaba was meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly and Tourism and Antiquities Minister Khaled El-Enany to discuss a plan for the resumption of foreign tourism.
He said domestic flights were currently operating with “high efficiency.”
During the meeting, El-Enany also reviewed procedures for receiving tourists.
International flights have been suspended since mid-March due to the coronavirus; cargo, domestic flights and some special charters to repatriate stranded Egyptians have continued to operate.
Limited flights are also in operation to a few international destinations, with EgyptAir scheduling a one-off flight to Frankfurt on 5 June.
The government’s plan for a resumption in tourism will be submitted to a higher committee tasked with managing the coronavirus crisis for a decision.
Cabinet spokesman Nader Saad said earlier this week that there might be “a gradual resumption of flights … during the second half of June or the first half of July.”
He said several global carriers have expressed readiness to resume flights to Egypt in July, especially as “they predict that Egypt is among states which will gradually open its airspace.”
Egyptian authorities have said they are in the process of reopening the economy in order to allow the country to “coexist” with the coronavirus.
Hotels have been allowed to reopen to domestic tourists if they reduce capacity to 50 percent and are certified to have implemented new, strict safety procedures.
The country’s aviation sector has suffered losses of over EGP 2.25 billion ($142.1 million), according to statements by Madbouly in March.