Egypt's tourism ministry said on Friday that the number of hotels which are allowed to operate at a reduced capacity has increased to 232 in 13 governorates, having adhered to safety regulations outlined by the ministry.
The hotels and resorts are located in South Sinai, the Red Sea, Matrouh, Alexandria, Suez, Greater Cairo, Qena, Luxor, Aswan, Damietta, Fayoum, Beheira and Port Said.
They were allowed to re-open after receiving the "Hygiene Safety" certificate, approved by the government in accordance with the standards of the World Health Organization (WHO)
They received the certificate after being subjected to inspection carried out by specialized committee from the Ministries of Tourism and Antiquities, Health, the Egyptian Hotels Association and representatives from the concerned governorates. Further hotels will be inspected soon.
The Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities called on citizens and tourism companies to only deal with hotels that have obtained the health certificate.
The new regulations require hotels to reduce occupancy rates to 50 percent and implement a range of hygiene procedures, including regular disinfection.
Hotels are not permitted to hold parties, weddings, or overnight activities. Their restaurants can only serve pre-set menus, as buffet services are banned, and dining tables should be set at a safe distance to reduce the risk of virus transmission.
Egypt allowed hotels that secure the new hygiene certificate to open for guests and day users last month, to revive the tourism sector, which has been hit heavily by pandemic.
The occupancy rate was initially set at 25 percent of capacity, but this month was increased to 50 percent.
Egypt said on Thursday it would resume international flights and allow foreign tourists to some coastal cities that have been least affected by the coronavirus starting from the beginning of July.