Egypt detected 89 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, a record drop in daily reported cases since April, reporting a total infection tally of 97,237 since the outbreak in mid-February, the health ministry announced.
The ministry also reported 12 new deaths, bringing the total deaths from the virus to 5,243.
The statement said that 800 patients were discharged from hospitals on Saturday, bringing the total number of recoveries to 65,118.
Despite the drop in cases, Egypt has warned of a possible resurgence of higher infections due to the holidays, the latest being Eid Al-Adha earlier this month, reversing the downward trend of new infections and deaths in recent weeks, which came despite the lifting of lockdown measures at the end of June.
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said that the country has not yet emerged from the crisis despite the fall in daily detected infections and deaths, urging the necessity of strictly adhering to preventive measures nationwide.
Madbouly affirmed the necessity of adhering to all preventive measures, including wearing facemasks, maintaining social distancing and others, to avoid a spike in the infection rate.
The government said in July that it may resort to adopting the strict preventative measures it had imposed earlier to fight the coronavirus, including reclosing activities and re-imposing a nighttime curfew if the infection rate rises again.