Egypt has condemned in the strongest terms the stabbing incident that took place today in the French city of Nice, a statement by the foreign ministry said on Thursday.
Earlier on Thursday, according to the French authorities, an attacker armed with a knife killed three people at a church in the Mediterranean city of Nice.
The foreign ministry statement said that Egypt has expressed its sincere condolences to the families of the victims, and wishes a speedy recovery for those injured.
The Egyptian government and people, the statement says, stand with the French government and people in facing this repugnant incident.
While condemning and rejecting such terrorist incidents, Egypt also stresses that this incident is completely inconsistent with human instinct and the teachings of any of the monotheistic religions, the statement added.
On the same day, the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar Sheikh Ahmed Al-Tayyeb strongly condemned "the abhorrent terrorist attack" that took place at Notre Dame Church in Nice, saying that "there is no way to justify these ugly terrorist acts which defy the peaceful teachings of Islam and all divine religions."
Thursday's incident comes amid a worldwide Muslim uproar and condemnation of comments by French President Emmanuel Macron on Islam as well as calls to boycott French products after Macron defended Charlie Hebdo's cartoons deemed offensive to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
They also come after a Muslim student beheaded earlier this month a French teacher for conducting a classroom discussion on the cartoons, an act which was strongly condemned by Egypt, Al-Azhar, and Muslims worldwide.
Al-Azhar has however also condemned the French president's charges that Islam encourages "separatism and isolationism."