Last Update 14:53
Wednesday, 22 May 2019

Two die in mine blast crossing from Egypt to Libya

Reuters, Sunday 13 May 2012
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1103
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1103

Two men were killed on Sunday and 29 other people were injured after their convoy that was illegally crossing from Egypt into Libya entered a minefield, a medical source said.

Mahmoud Zahran, a Health Ministry official in the northern Egyptian city of Marsa Matrouh, said an Egyptian and a Sudanese man died when their vehicle, which was travelling in a convoy with two others, hit landmines inside Libya.
 
Health officials and Egypt's state news agency said all the injured were Egyptians, except for two Sudanese. Reports had earlier said the two dead were both Egyptian.
Egyptians have traditionally sought work in Libya, but the conflict that toppled Muammar Gaddafi last year forced many to leave.
 
A recovery in Libyan oil output to near pre-war levels is luring many back, however, at a time when Egypt's economy has been hammered by the uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak.
 
Egypt's state news agency said the injured were brought to a hospital in Salloum, an Egyptian town near the border.
 
The north coast of Egypt and Libya is littered with landmines laid during World War Two by Germany and Britain and their respective allies.
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.