Last Update 3:21
Monday, 01 June 2020

Parliament speaker: We have not received official notification to dissolve

Parliamentary speaker Saad El-Katatny says the parliament has not yet received notice it will be dissolved after the High Court Thursday ruling on constitutionality of law regulating its elections procedures

Ahram Online, Friday 15 Jun 2012
Al-Katatni
Spokesman of people's assembly Saad el-Katatni (L) shakes hands with an official during a parliament meeting to elect a 100-member constituent assembly in Cairo June 12, 2012. (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2556
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2556

Egypt's speaker of the People's Assembly Saad El-Katatny said that the parliament has not yet received notification of the Thursday High Constitutional Court's decision to dissolve both houses of parliament.

In a statement published on Friday morning on the official site of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party (FJP) El-Katatny charged the media has been waging a war against the parliament in the past few months.

El-Katatny hinted that the court's ruling is politically motivated claiming that Prime Minister Kamal El-Ganzouri had previously threatened him that the Constitutional Court already had a raedy-to-announce verdict to dissolve the parliament.

He added he participated on Thursday in a combined meeting between the executive board of the FJP and the Brotherhood's Supreme Guidance Bureau to discuss the steps the group will take in the next few days.

El-Katatny added they also agreed the FJP's presidential candidate, Mohamed Morsi, will continue in the second round of the presidential elections set to start on Saturday.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.