Last Update 6:50
Wednesday, 22 May 2019

Brotherhood acknowledges members participated in Friday clashes

After repeatedly denying involvement in Friday's clashes in Tahrir Square, Muslim Brotherhood admits youth members took part in violence that left dozens injured

Ahram Online, Hatem Maher, Wednesday 17 Oct 2012
Mahmoud Ghozlan
Muslim Brotherhood spokesperson Mahmoud Ghozlan (Photo: Al-Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4556
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4556

The Muslim Brotherhood has admitted for the first time that its members took part in Friday's clashes in Tahrir Square.

The group had earlier denied its members were involved in clashes with liberal and leftist forces who were protesting the "domination" of the Constituent Assembly by Islamists.

Eyewitnesses had claimed Brotherhood supporters attacked peaceful demonstrators and destroyed their podiums in order to stop chants against President Morsi, who was a long-time member of the group.

For several days after the clashes, which left over 150 people injured, the Brotherhood blamed the violence on “thugs” and "agents of the dismantled state security."

However, the group's spokesman Mahmoud Ghozlan on Wednesday told the Al-Ahram Arabic news website that some “hasty Brotherhood youth” were involved in the clashes.

“The group was not going to take part in the demonstration," he explained, "but had a change of heart after learning that those going to protest shared some of our aims: protesting against the (Battle of the Camel) verdict that acquitted the killers of revolutionaries.

“We announced that we would participate in the protest on Friday starting at 4pm, but the clashes happened before that," he said.

Several opposition political groups have called for another protest in Tahrir Square on Friday, which they have called 'Egypt for all Egyptians', to call for social justice and to oppose “the Brotherhood’s domination of the Constituent Assembly.”

In recent months critics have accused the Brotherhood of wielding undue influence over the president.

The group has been particularly criticised for leaving little room for the opposition to participate in writing the new constitution.

In an apparent attempt to quell liberal and leftist anger, Ghozlan said: "In future there will be no need for the Brotherhood to take part in protests that feature other political forces. We will avoid these protests so as not to tarnish the image of the January 25 Revolution.”

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



mumby
18-10-2012 06:33am
1-
0+
Authority
Could be some Brotherhood youths taking part in the violent attacks against liberals and leftists but liberals and leftists youths also attack Brotherhood forces.In that incident Authority should investigate the clashes. No one should be above the law. Use video as proof in investigation and prosecute who did wrong/aggressive whoever they are leftist or Islamist.Don't much listen to argument.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.