Last Update 10:42
Sunday, 20 September 2020

Seven killed Sunday in Port Said mass funeral clashes

Death toll increases in Port Said; Interior Ministry denies involvement in attack on mass funeral for victims of Saturday clashes in the city

Ahram Online , Sunday 27 Jan 2013
One dead in attack on mass funeral in Port Said
Mourners attend the funerals of 33 people who died on Saturday, during clashes provoked by a court verdict on a deadly stadium disaster last year, in Port Said January 27, 2013 (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 9133
Share/Bookmark
Views: 9133

Seven people have been killed and 450 injured on the day of a mass funeral for victims of Saturday's clashes in Port Said.

On Sunday, mourners at the Al-Mariam Mosque were hit by heavy tear gas shelling from the direction of the nearby army club, reports said.

Injury by live bullets or birdshot reached 21, Abdel-Rahman Farah, general manager of Port Said hospitals told Ahram online.

Ahram's Arabic-language news website said three of the wounded were in a critical condition.

The Ministry of Interior has denied using teargas at the funeral via a message on its official Facebook page.

The ministry claimed several mourners on the funeral march threw Molotov cocktails and shot at police stations.

More than 30 people died during clashes with police in Port Said on Saturday after a court sentenced 21 people to death for their involvement in the Port Said disaster in February 2012.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.