Last Update 18:29
Sunday, 20 October 2019

Health ministry reports 117 injuries as Port Said clashes continue intermittently

Monday's clashes in restive canal city leave over 117 injured, according to Egypt's health ministry; local security directorate, governorate HQ in flames

Ahram Online , Monday 4 Mar 2013
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1278
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1278

Ongoing clashes in Port Said between protesters and security forces on Monday have left over 117 injured, including both civilians and security forces, according to Egypt's health ministry.

The majority of injuries were reportedly due to excessive teargas inhalation and shotguns loaded with birdshot.

Clashes broke out in the canal city on Sunday after the relatives of local residents charged with involvement in last year's Port Said stadium disaster – in which scores of football fans were killed – were told that the defendants would be transported to a prison outside the city.

Defendants' relatives attempted to storm the Port Said Security Directorate while police responded with teargas in an attempt to disperse the crowds. After the dust settled, three civilians and three security officers lay dead.

Meanwhile, fires at both the security directorate and Port Said's governorate headquarters – sparked earlier on Monday by Molotov-throwing protesters – continued to spread as of Monday night after fire-fighters failed to show up at the scene.

On Monday afternoon, Egypt's interior ministry issued a statement in which it asserted that "armed individuals" were firing randomly at both military personnel and police. The ministry went on to urge local citizens to avoid government buildings.

Port Said has witnessed a series of riots and protests since 26 January, when 21 Port Said residents were sentenced to death for their roles in last year's stadium tragedy that saw over 70 Ahly fans killed.

Families of the defendants and members of the Green Eagles – hardcore fans of Port Said football club Al-Masry – have been attempting to launch a 'civil disobedience' campaign in Port Said for over two weeks to protest what they see as unjust verdicts in the stadium trial and perceived marginalisation by the central government in Cairo.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.