Last Update 21:37
Sunday, 19 November 2017

Pro-Morsi alliance calls for Friday protests 'against the coup'

National Alliance to Support Legitimacy has called for mass demonstrations after the cabinet says it will take steps to disperse pro-Morsi sit-ins

Ahram Online, Thursday 1 Aug 2013
Pro-Morsi rallies
Pro-Morsi protestors take part in a demonstration around the Rabaa El-Adweya mosque square in Nasr City (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1868
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1868

The Muslim Brotherhood-led National Alliance to Support Legitimacy has called for mass protests on Friday under the banner of "Egypt against the coup."

Earlier on Wednesday, Egypt's cabinet issued a statement saying it would take "all legal measures necessary to confront acts of terrorism and road-blocking" in an apparent warning to supporters of deposed Brotherhood president Mohamed Morsi, who have been camping out at two sit-ins in Cairo since the president's ouster on 3 July.

The pro-Morsi alliance responded with a statement read by a spokesman and aired on Al-Jazeeraon television calling for million-man protests on Friday.

"The alliance affirms that the Egyptian nation now recognises the true terrorists after several massacres committed by the putschists against pro-Morsi protestors," said the statement.

Over 80 pro-Morsi demonstrators were killed in violent clashes with police in the early hours of Saturday morning, a short distance away from the main sit-in in Nasr City.

Speaking about the interior ministry, which the cabinet statement charged with dispersing the protests, the alliance statement read: "Whatever they do, we will not be silent about their thugs…Let the world know who is peaceful and who is inciting terror."

The alliance backs continued peaceful protest until demands for Morsi's return are met.

"Our peacefulness will prove stronger than their bullets," said the spokesman.

In a plea to the United Nations, the Muslim Brotherhood-led coalition called on the international organisation to oppose the "coup" and condemn the mass killing of protestors.

The spokesman denied claims that protesters at the Nasr City demonstration are armed, and invited television channels to search for weapons at the sit-in.

The statement called for the constitutionally-guaranteed right to peaceful assembly to be upheld and appealed to the armed forces and police to refrain from directing bullets at "their Egyptian brothers."  

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Farid
01-08-2013 01:03pm
0-
0+
Again and again...
Another One Million Protest by MB's which never gather such number of participants...
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.