Last Update 21:0
Thursday, 23 May 2019

Government counts on popular support in fight vs Brotherhood: Sources

Despite misgivings by western diplomats over decision to disperse sit-ins, officials tell Ahram Online they will prevail over Brotherhood and the world community will come around to support their actions

Dina Ezzat, Wednesday 14 Aug 2013
Rabaa Adawiya
Members of the Muslim Brotherhood and supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi shout slogans during clashes with riot police and the army around Rabaa Adawiya square where they are camping, in Cairo August 14, 2013. (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4608
Share/Bookmark
Views: 4608

Hours after the start of the security operation to force the dispersal of two Muslim Brotherhood sit-ins in Cairo and Giza, government officials assess that things are, by and large, going according to plan, with the aim still to end the operation late Wdnesday — possibly late evening.

Egypt's presidency declared at 4pm Wednesday a state of emergency in Egypt to last for a month, and followed this decision at 5pm with a declaration of a 7pm - 6am curfew. 

The president ordered the army to take all necessary measures to preserve security.

The evening to dawn curfew will be enforced in some governorates such as Cairo and Giza, areas that have seen some tough clashes between Muslim Brotherhood members, security forces, groups of thugs and citizens.

The operation that started at dawn Wednesday, coming after the end of the Muslim holiday of Eid El-Fitr, had all but been pre-announced earlier in the week by Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi who had said that force would be used, if need be, to disperse protesters after the holiday.

The sit-ins at Rabaa Al-Adawiya in Nasr City and Al-Nahda Square in Giza had been ongoing for six weeks.

Vice President for International Affairs Mohamed ElBaradei had also suggested a resort to “use of force within the limits of law” to end the sit-ins should political mediation fail.

During the last few days there were some hopes for a political settlement between authorities and the Muslim Brotherhood to end a political crisis that started with the ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi on 3 July.

According to identical accounts from official and independent political sources, mediation broke down when Muslim Brotherhood strongman Khairat El-Shater, under custody on criminal charges, allegedly threatened “violence” if the demands of the Muslim Brotherhood leadership, including a safe exit for Morsi and El-Shater, were not accommodated. This account is contradicted by Muslim Brotherhood sources who say that the “military” were not interested in reaching a deal and were only making a semblance of pursuing one.

The decision to start the operation to forcefully disperse the sit-ins was taken jointly by the police and military leadership without prior notification of the prime minister or the vice president.

VP ElBaradei reportedly demanded high-level assurances that the operation would not step outside of the boundaries of law, and according to two sources “threatened to resign if the death toll among the protestors proved to be high.”

Meanwhile, ElBaradei and Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy have been making rounds of calls with concerned world capitals about developments on the ground and to assure key states of the commitment of Cairo to uphold human rights standards.

Cairo-based Western diplomats said they have not been able to get independent and accurate confirmation on the death toll, and that they are deeply concerned over developments.

“We all knew that an operation was possible, but it all depends on how things will unfold. We need to think of ways to move forward,” a western diplomat told Ahram Online.

On another front, Egyptian diplomats expressed “dismay” at what they said were “unfortunate” attempts by Ankara and Doha to refer developments in Egypt to the UN Security Council, adding that this effort was unlikely to succeed.

UN undersecretary general for political affairs Jeffery Feltman had been scheduled to arrive to Cairo in a few days. Other international envoys, including a delegation from the UN Human Rights Council, are also considering visits, according to UN sources in Geneva.

Government sources told Ahram Online they expect that the world would show interest in developments in Egypt, but they sounded confident that their government has nothing to worry about — especially in view of the alleged confiscation of arms and ammunition at both sit-ins. 

For the most part, government officials are convinced that matters are under control and that normality will return in a matter of days — regardless of threats made by some Muslim Brotherhood leaders. These officials bank on the "wide public support," the government, army and security forces enjoy at the moment.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.