Last Update 14:38
Thursday, 22 October 2020

Egypt clashes death toll rises to 53

Health ministry says 53 dead and 271 injured across Egypt during Sunday's clashes between pro-Morsi protesters and security forces

Ahram Online, Monday 7 Oct 2013
Victims of cairo clashes
Supporters of Egypt's ousted President Mohammed Morsi mourn relatives killed during clashes with security forces in Cairo, Egypt, Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013. (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2235
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2235

The official death toll from Sunday's clashes between supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi and security forces has risen to 53, the health ministry announced on Monday.

The violence, which lasted until close to midnight, also left 271 injured.

Deadly clashes erupted in Cairo as Morsi supporters marched towards Tahrir Square, where thousands were celebrating the 40th anniversary of the 1973 war against Israel and voicing support for the army.

The interior ministry said more than 400 Morsi supporters had been arrested on Sunday while attempting to "storm public squares."

The Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party, which the deposed Islamist president headed before winning the 2012 presidential election, said it held "the commanders of the 3 July coup" - particularly army chief Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi and Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim - responsible for "crimes of violence" against protesters.

Morsi was removed by the military on 3 July following nationwide protests against his rule.

 

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.