Last Update 18:50
Saturday, 20 July 2019

Mubarak house arrest is over, claims lawyer

Lawyer for former president Hosni Mubarak says his client is free to move within Egypt upon end of state of emergency

Ahram Online , Wednesday 13 Nov 2013
Farid El-Deeb
Farid El-Deeb, Mubarak's lead defence lawyer (Photo: Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1640
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1640

Hosni Mubarak's period of house arrest expired with the end of the state of emergency, his lawyer has claimed – something Egypt's interim authorities dispute.

The former president, who was arrested in April 2011, is being retried for complicity in the killing of protesters during the popular revolt that swept him from power in January 2011.

In August, a court ordered his release because he had served the maximum term of pre-trial detention. He was placed under house arrest at a military hospital as part of the state of emergency, which a court said should end on Tuesday. He is also facing trial in three corruption cases.

"[Mubarak] now has the right to move freely in Egypt," his lawyer Farid El-Deeb told pan-Arab daily Al-Sharq Al-Awsat on Wednesday, but he will remain in hospital to "complete his treatment."

Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi told independent daily Al-Masri Al-Youm last week that Mubarak would return to prison after the state of emergency ends as lawmakers had made amendments to a law regulating pre-trial detention periods.

The changes lifted a maximum a two-year limit on pre-trial detention for defendants in cases punishable by death or a life sentence. El-Beblawi said Mubarak would be subject to the law change because his trial is still ongoing, and the change was not being imposed retroactively.

El-Beblawi's statement was challenged by legal experts who contend the authorities cannot extend Mubarak's detention.

A court ruled Egypt's three-month state of emergency be lifted on Tuesday, two days ahead of schedule. But authorities said they were awaiting the text of the ruling before they would implement it.

The measure was implemented on 14 August when police dispersed two protest camps in Cairo set up by loyalists of toppled president Mohamed Morsi, leaving hundreds dead.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.