Egyptians will not accept a corrupt leader who fails to fulfill their aspirations, presidential hopeful and former army chief Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi said in statements to Egyptian daily Al-Watan on Thursday.
Al-Watan quoted El-Sisi as stating that he refuses to lay down a "fantasty" electoral programme, stressing his platform will be realistic and applicable in the short run and adding that it will have a positive effect on the lives of Egyptians within many aspects.
El-Sisi said the responsibility of ruling is "no picnic" and pledged to be in the people's service, according to Al-Watan.
The former defence minister resigned from the military on Wednesday and announced his presidential bid in army garb in a live address on Egyptian state TV the same day.
A video report aired on Thursday, also on state TV, showed El-Sisi meeting with his presidential campaign team in a black suit.
His campaign is reportedly headed by ex-ambassador Mahmoud Karem, a current member of Egypt's National Council for Human Rights who also held membership during the presidency of Hosni Mubarak and for a brief stint under former president Mohamed Morsi. Karem's career in politics is also highlighted by formerly serving as Egypt's permanent representative to NATO as well as ambassador to Japan and Belgium.
El-Sisi's campaign also includes Ahmed Kamel, the spokesperson for former presidential candidate and prominent liberal politician, Amr Moussa, a key El-Sisi ally.
Egypt's interim president, Adly Mansour, stated that Egypt will have a new president before 17 July. Candidates will be able to nominate themselves officially from 30 March.
El-Sisi's only challenger so far is former leftist presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabbahi who came in third in Egypt's 2012 presidential elections.