Last Update 1:36
Saturday, 21 September 2019

Egypt has lost $1.5bn since the revolution, says tourim minister

With Egypt's image as a tourist destination undermined by events since 25 January, steps are being taken to attract visitors back to the country

Ahram Online, Tuesday 12 Apr 2011
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1638
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1638

According to Egypt’s tourist minister, Mounir Fakhri Abdel Nour, the country has lost around $1.5 billion since the outbreak of the 25 January. The minister added that Egypt’s image as a tourist destination would be boosted if tourists were to feel safe again.

Abdel Nour made his comments during a symposium organised by the Tourism Reporters Society to discuss the challenges faced by the sector. While emphasising his support for the revolution, the minister said that Egypt’s many problems should not be allowed to escalate. Following the call for a million-man march to Sharm El-Sheikh in protest against the slow prosecution of former president Hosni Mubarak and his family, Abdel Nour contacted the march’s organisers to explain the negative impact of such a move.

With the summer season approaching, a marketing campaign will be unveiled in the next few days to target Arab tourists. Part of this strategy is the Ramadan Lanterns festival, launched last year, featuring arts and cultural events.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.