Last Update 14:40
Saturday, 18 August 2018

Former MP Sadat says will not run in the 2018 Egypt presidential elections

Ahram Online , Monday 15 Jan 2018
Mohamed Anwar El-Sadat
File Photo: Former MP Mohamed Anwar El-Sadat during an interview with Reuters (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3374
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3374

Mohamed Anwar El-Sadat, the former MP and head of the human rights committee in the Egyptian parliament, announced in a press conference on Monday that he will not run in the upcoming presidential elections, which are set for March, citing "indicators of the electoral scene not being reassuring".

In a press conference at the Heliopolis headquarters of the Reform and Development Party, of which he is chairman, El-Sadat said he took his decision after "much consideration and examination of reality", adding that the decision to not continue in his presidential bid was "reached regrettably".

"I continue to play my part in defending the issues, concerns and problems of citizens and their rights and freedoms. I do that with an undying hope in a better future that we will live one day when there is a different environment and a belief in popular will and the right of people to determine their fate and participate in governance,” he said.

El-Sadat explained his decision was not an individual one but was based on the desire of "many who had confidence in me and my vision for the future and necessary reform."

The nephew of the late president Anwar El-Sadat praised the efforts of his campaign staff, who have been working for several months to collect donations from businessmen and signatures of endorsement from the public to make his nomination official.

“However, it seems that all of this was not enough and would not be effective without faith and conviction in democracy and the idea of peaceful transition of power and that a president will not stay in power forever,” El-Sadat said.

He stressed that the general atmosphere was not conducive to a fair competition, especially with what he described as other "state-led campaigns collecting signatures for President El-Sisi ahead of the official start of the nomination process."

The National Electoral Authority (NEA), the body which regulates the election process, announced last week that it will receive applications for candidacies from 20 January until 29 January.

Candidates must receive endorsements from a minimum of 20 MPs, or 25,000 citizens from at least 15 governorates, with at least 1,000 endorsements from each governorate.

So far around 500 members of parliament – out of 596 in total – have signed recommendations in support of current Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi running for a second term as president.

On Sunday, the NEA said that the number of endorsements for different presidential hopefuls had reached around 250,000, as of Sunday afternoon. According to the authority, there were signatures of support for 21 names.

El-Sisi has not yet officially announced his intention to run in the spring elections.

However, several others have announced their candidacies for president, including prominent rights lawyer Khaled Ali, former army chief-of-staff Sami Anan, and lawyer and Zamalek Sporting Club chairman Mortada Mansour.

Ali is currently appealing a 3 month prison sentence he received in 2017 for offending public decency. Ali could lose eligibility for becoming a candidate for president if he loses the appeal.

The 2018 elections are the first to be supervised by the recently-established NEA, the independent authority with the sole responsibility for supervising general elections and referendums in Egypt.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.