Health minister Adel Adawy stated on Friday that Egypt has no new recorded cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome "MERS," beyond one announced last week.
"There are no recorded positive cases of 'MERS' in Egypt, all [new] suspected cases turned out to be negative" the minister said in a press statement on Friday.
Last Saturday, the ministry had confirmed the first MERS case in the country for an Egyptian national upon his return from Saudi Arabia.
The minister also stated that the health ministry issued a warning to citizens travelling to Saudi Arabia to avoid MERS infection during the next pilgrimage season.
A medical source at a health directorate in Qalyubia governorate, however, told MENA news agency that there were two suspected cases of MERS in the governorate.
According to the source the two suspected cases had just returned from Saudi Arabia after completing the Islamic ritual, "Omra."
The source also told MENA that the two suspected cases were currently at 26 July hospital in Al Khankah, Qalyubia where they were undergoing tests.
A previous version of this story failed to mention ministry had confirmed one MERS case last week